Friday, May 18, 2012

The front porch and the mysterious puppy paint print...

The front of our house has a great front porch that I love, but we rarely ever use it.  I've been stalking watching garage sales, thrift stores and clearance sections to see if I can find a fun bistro set for the front porch but haven't had any luck.  If we had a place to sit we might actually use it!  I take that back, it does get used - for bikes.  My kids have decided that it's as good of place as any to corral their bikes. 

The porch has sat empty and neglected since 2007 when we moved in.  Oh, I have big plans for it someday...  Last summer I decided that it really needed to be painted.  Not only did it look terrible, but the wood needed to be sealed. 


Front porch before




I headed to my favorite home improvement store and picked up Glidden Porch & Floor paint in Steel Grey.  I loved how smooth it went on and covered.  Just a few passes of paint and the porch was already looking better!






Now of course you can't be outdoors working on a project without having a helper.  He would just sit and pout if I had left him inside.  What a spoiled boy!  
Cooper the watch dog

I did have to put the stick there as a barrier so he knew how far on the porch he could come.  Isn't it silly that we can lay a stick across an area and he won't pass it?!?!  He could easily go around it or simply step over it, but nope he stays right there.  I think he's the smartest dog in the world, but I may be a little impartial.  :)



And here is what happens if you don't have a stick to remind him...  Good thing he has the cutest face ever and I forgave him. 




I used an angled brush for the edging, under the railing and in between boards.  The rest I just rolled on.  All in all it only took 2 coats, a couple of hours and about $25.  Why hadn't I done this earlier?!?! 

Here are a few before and after pictures...
























So. Much. Better.  Now to paint the ceiling and railing...  Ugh, not looking forward to that.

No comments: