Friday, April 13, 2012

Backyard Oasis

Do you love a good campfire?  We do!  Once the weather starts to get nice out you can bet where you'll find our family on any Friday or Saturday night.  Yup, around the campfire in the backyard! 

I LOVE me some campfire!  I love the sight, smell and crackle of a fire.  Of course the kids favorite part is s'mores!  Ooey, gooey chocolate, marshmallow and the crunch of graham crackers.  Yum!  But I think my favorite part of a good campfire is the great company - always makes for great conversations and friendships.  :)

Last weekend my husband had some time off work so he did some work in the yard.  I had no idea what he was up to, but I was pleasantly surprised.  :)

Here is a before picture of the small ring surrounded by river rock.

Before

A quick trip to Home Depot to pick up the blocks to get started.  The cost of the block was about $36. 


First up is to dig out all of the ashes from the numerous fires we've already had this year.  Then he wanted to make sure he had a good base.  The first row was placed a couple of inches in the ground. Don't forget to make sure it's level!


Once the first row in set in place, the rest is easy!  Just add the next layer making sure to keep it level and alternate the bricks so you don't have a "seam" all the way up.



The firepit is done, but the best part is still to come....  Enter SAND!!!  2 Tons of sand to be exact!  My husband has a work connection to some excavators so he got the sand for $5/ton + $40 delivery fee.


We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ocean and beach and someday we will live near it.  Since we couldn't go to the beach, we brought the beach to us!  It's so great to be able to dig your toes in the sand and just picture yourself on vacation.  Then you open your eyes and realize that we're still in MN...  Oh well, someday.  :)

after

The whole project took a total of 4 hours and it was just under $100!  I was at work and came home to this little backyard oasis.  I love that my husband took pictures of the different steps for me.  He thought it would be a great addition to the blog.  Isn't he the greatest?!?!  I think so.  :)

Backyard Oasis breakdown:
Approximately 4 hours
Landscaping block - $36
2 tons sand - $10
Delivery fee - $40
Total cost - $86

Much cheaper than a vacation to the beach.  :)


Of course we had to try it out the first night.  Excuse the beverages in the picture...  I forgot to mention that's my husband's favorite part of campfires.  :)

Do you love to enjoy a Friday night around the fire?  I couldn't think of a better place to spend a Friday night with great friends. 

2 comments:

Dawn said...

That looks so fun! I keep telling Jer we have to get a firepit. Now I want to build one. And I agree that Mapin is great. :)

Unknown said...

That is such an awesome idea. We recently started fixing up our back yard. We have been talking with different pool companies in PA to actually try creating our own oasis. However, I love your fire pit idea. We were planning on having a fire pit, but the sand, that just adds a little something extra. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and the idea.